REVIEW | Maybelline SuperStay Better Skin Foundation + Concealer

Lately I've found myself reaching for items - beauty, food or drink - that claim to be good for my skin. Why? I guess if I could go back in time I would have started a healthy skin regime in my teens because as I get older I have started to notice slight changes such as little lines here and there, dullness, etc. And as much as you can't turn back time, there are things you can do to prevent ageing (or at least hide it!)

I decided to try out the new Maybelline Super Stay Better Skin foundation and concealer to see how both of these products work together as I was quite intrigued by the benefits they claimed - They're enriched with a powerful vitamin called Actyl C which evens out discolouration and helps promote skin regeneration. They say you'll see noticeable changes in your skin such as it will be smoother, more even and hydrated within 3 weeks. The foundation has innovative air-cushioned pigments for a lightweight yet still full coverage finish. And the concealer will aim to brighten and conceal imperfections. 

 
 COLOUR 
Foundation: It's a pretty close match to my skin tone. I went with the lightest shade which is 005 light beige and the only thing I noticed was that it was more pink-toned than I would usually go for.

Concealer: I find it to be incredibly dark for the lightest shade. I have it in 02 Light (maybe they're bringing a lighter shade out later?) and this shade was darker than the foundation. It's also very pink as well so I feel like it enhanced the darkness around my eyes rather than concealing it. With a concealer I go for lightness and yellow-tone to fix the dark circle issue so this concealer was definitely not a good colour for me.

 COVERAGE + FINISH 
Foundation: One pump provided a great coverage for the entire face. I decided to go for another pump to really give full coverage and that worked perfectly. Using a buffing brush, it spreads out really effortlessly and quickly so if you don't have much time, this foundation is great. With a setting powder over the top it provides close to a flawless finish, although I can slightly see it on the face so it's visible that you're wearing foundation when you have it on. It does last quite nicely throughout the day combined with using a primer underneath.

Concealer: I was surprised at how quickly and easily the concealer glided on as well. Comparing it to the Maybelline SuperStay 24 concealer which I found caked/creased so easily under my eyes, this one hasn't done that at all. 

 FEELING 
Foundation: I believe in the benefit of the "air-cushioned pigments" because I can't feel the foundation on my skin at all, as you can with some full coverage ones. When I touch my face it feels really soft, hydrated and supple. I actually love the feeling this foundation gives.

Concealer: The concealer also feels quite soft around my eyes.


My overall thoughts on both products? I do believe that this foundation is good for your skin just from what I can feel while wearing it. It makes my skin feel good, the coverage is great, and it was incredibly easy to apply. And with the concealer, although the formula is good I wouldn't recommend it purely for the colour - especially if you are trying to brighten and "wake yourself up". Hopefully they bring out a lighter shade!

x Vanessa


1 comment

  1. Thanks for the review! I was gong to try it since me skin loves Vit C so much however was hesitant. I have very oily skin (even at this old age :) and struggle to find a foundation that doesn't make me shiny. Will give this one a go.

    www.amalialoves.com

    ReplyDelete