How To Build A Capsule Wardrobe

How to build a capsule wardrobe blog

Oh to have a complete, organised wardrobe. I'm definitely still working on mine, there are so many essential items I'm missing. So in figuring out what I need to get for myself, I want to share with you how to build a capsule wardrobe!

I've created the guide below so you can start from scratch, pull everything off the rack or out of the cupboard and begin with a fresh space. When building a capsule wardrobe, you're ultimately trying to create a selection of clothing, shoes and accessories that can be mixed and matched on a daily basis. Every item should be something you wear often, with nothing that's a 'just in case' type of item. In doing this, getting dressed will be so much easier, and it will be easier to switch up your style or add in trend pieces when you already have the basics in place. Following are my steps to get started on your capsule wardrobe:

1. What's Your Style?

Your style is the essence of the clothing and accessories you wear. Discovering exactly what your style is can be a challenge in itself, however you should have some idea of how you'd describe the way you dress. Do you lean towards more casual clothing, or do you love dressing up? If both, what do you wear during the day? Classic stripes and denim, earthy tones and prints, or maybe lace and softer fabrics? If you're really struggling, think of a character from a movie or tv show, whose style your admire. Think how you'd describe their style and run with that!

2. Choose A Colour Palette

Choosing a colour palette should be easy. You would have your go-to colours that you love wearing. It also helps to have a search for colours that suit your hair colour and/or skin tone - you can find charts online that suggest different colour palettes. The more you reduce your colour palette, the better your capsule wardrobe will be. You should always have neutrals, such as black, white, nude/tan and grey. I then suggest choosing no more than three colours to mix in. I like to stick to different shades of pink.

3. Add Texture + Print

Besides your colour palette, you need items in textured and printed fabric to add interest. Denim is a given, always make sure you have comfortable jeans in black and blue. I highly suggest owning something stripey as well. Then add in textures and prints that fit in with your style. If you lean towards more feminine styling, you might like to add lace and sequins. If you love boho, maybe fringing and Aztec prints might be more your thing. 



4. Shop The Basics

The basic items necessary in your wardrobe are those everyday staples that can't go wrong. Tees, denim, leather jacket, beige coat, skirts, jumper and an LBD. These should all be investment pieces, as they're items that tend to never go out of style. Find good quality basics that won't fall apart after a few wears.



 5. Add The Extras

Here's where your personality comes in. Find items in your chosen textures and prints that can be paired with your basics. It helps to try and avoid 'trend' pieces, but sometimes that can be hard to do! If you find a trendy piece you love, picture yourself wearing it a year from now. If you're only going to wear it a handful of times and it most likely won't be in next year, I suggest not adding it to your wardrobe. Instead, spend your money on pieces that you absolutely adore.

6. Select The Shoes

The selection of shoes I've chosen are, in my opinion, the staples you need. These include a pair of casual white sneakers, black ballet flats, nude heels, tan sandals, black sandals and black heeled boots. You'll never be stuck for shoes if you have these in your wardrobe!

7. Accessorize

And lastly onto the accessories. Choose ones that fit in with your style and personality. I always think you can't go wrong with a classic black handbag and sunglasses. Having a smaller sling bag as well is really handy for nights out and for when you don't want to carry as much. Investing in a nice wallet or coin/card case is also a great idea. 

Once you have complete all these steps, you should now have your very own capsule wardrobe for the New Year. Hope this helps you out!


Follow

28 comments

  1. This is literally the best fashion advice post I have ever read! It is so helpful! And as a new mum, I need simplicity in my wardrobe! I now have a new years resolution! To make one of these Capsule Wardrobes!

    THANK YOU!!!

    Tahana <3
    www.tahanalee.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so clever! Thank you!! I need an electronic collection of my clothes so I can piece it together like these haha xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg i love this idea!! this post is super inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a good post!! And your room is so damn beautiful! I bet you have the most chic house decor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly I don't think I could ever do this haha. My weight fluctuates a lot and I can't afford to spend money on big ticket items that might not fit in six months so I tend to thrift shop a lot, which tends to lead to broken clothes haha! I love the idea though and could probably still implement a lot of ideas into my wardrobe and then when my weight fluctuations become under control I could start this more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same way Jasmine. But I think this could be very doable for thift store buys. One of the things that helped mine from fluctuating was eating alot of protein.

      Delete
    2. Oh I'm the same, I tend to lean towards affordable, yet good quality items that I know I'll get the wear out of. Most clothing I buy is a little loose-fitting so no matter if my size goes up or down, it still basically fits :)

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh! This post is so effing good!!! I am an absolute fashion noob... And I look "motherly" most days... (I hope you know what I mean). This guide is just brilliant. Thanks for posting this. It's a big help to clueless people like me. xx

    Jacq
    jacqwritesworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all the pieces, textures, colours and accessories in this post. I really should do this. It's a great way of becoming more organised!

    Di from Max The Unicorn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, still very much working on mine too. Fab tips here! I seem to have the basics down pat.... Need some more of the extras ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the sound of this! It would make getting dressed each day so much quicker and easier!

    Ingrid
    http://www.fabulousandfunlife.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is brilliant, babe! I definitely need to do a cull of my wardrobe, and love the idea of something like this! Bookmarking this for future reference!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is great! I'm trying to add more textures and patterns to my all black uniform, so this is really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this post! Perfect project over the Christmas holidays xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like that you have lots of skirts and dresses. I find the many capsule plans lean towards jeans, leggings and trousers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. love this post, every time I try to rebuild my closet I get lost and end up quitting lol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this post! I'm a big fan of capsule wardrobes! I have had a capsule every season for almost 2 years. Having a capsule has saved me both time and money.

    Leanne,
    ClassyYetTrendy.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for posting this! It's very helpful. I love the idea of capsule wardrobes!!!

    Ana,
    www.greenvalleynest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a great place to start. Thank you sooo much!! So helpful!! Would it be possible for me to link your blog to a blog I'm writing for my coaching practice about simplifying your life.

    Lynnette
    Www.Consciousstrategies.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, of course you can link to my blog :) Thank you.

      Delete
  18. What are some of your favorite stores to shop at, that you think would be a good start for someone to start building their wardrobe?

    Thank you kindly,
    Lauren F.-Durango, CO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren, my favourites would be ASOS and Missguided for affordable basics, and Shopbop for good-quality pieces :)

      Delete
  19. Where us the dress from? Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your advice is excellent!! Thank you very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i like it this idea. <3 thankk you gorg. :-*

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi I just came across this amazing post and I love it! Your advice is amazing and I love your website, blog, and style. Also, the colour palette of your capsule wardrobe is so pretty...love love love! I just started a fashion blog called World Fashion Journal and I would love if you checked it out and gave me some advice. :)

    Best,

    Lauren Anderson
    http://www.worldfashionjournal.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great post! Very good suggestions. Will be following this instead of other minimalist wardrobes I've read about.

    ReplyDelete